Here is my response to Men Explain Technology to Me: On
Gender, Ed-Tech and the Refusal to be Silent by Audrey Watters.
Honestly speaking, it was very hard for me to feel
connected to this article. I have never
thought of online harassment targeted at women who express their opinions
related to gender online.
Honestly speaking, again, I am a kind of woman who
feels comfortable when men try to explain to me about something. If men “assume
I am, in some sort of obscene impregnation metaphor, an empty vessel to be
filled with their wisdom and knowledge”, that would be perfectly fine with
me.
I feel sorry to say this kind of things that I know will disappoint my professors. It has something to do with my background and culture. I love smart men and I love being explained by smart men about something that is new to me. I tend to fallen in love with men who I sense are smarter than me. Probably I have been immersed deeply in or coded by gender representation in media and education since I was a child (e.g. red or pink for girls and blue for boys stuff).
I feel sorry to say this kind of things that I know will disappoint my professors. It has something to do with my background and culture. I love smart men and I love being explained by smart men about something that is new to me. I tend to fallen in love with men who I sense are smarter than me. Probably I have been immersed deeply in or coded by gender representation in media and education since I was a child (e.g. red or pink for girls and blue for boys stuff).
So while I was doing this reading assignment, I
tweeted to ask my 594 followers (80% of them are women) if they have
experienced being harassed or have witnessed somebody being harassed for their online
comments just because they were women.
I also researched using Twitter’s search engine by entering “online,
gender harassment” in Japanese. I found
a good video with a transcript:
TEDWomen
Talk about Online Harassment & Cyber Mobs
Having watched this video, I learned that Nintendo’s Super Mario bothers many
women like Anita Sarkeesian because it gives “sexually objectified, stereotyped
and downright oppressive portrayals of women” in it.
I have never played with Super Mario, so I don't know how bad it is. Yet, it is very
scary if what Anita feels is correct, as so many boys as well as adult men play
with Super Mario. I have to think this
issue more seriously.
While I was writing this post, I got 12 notifications
from Twitter: 4 followers retweeted my survey tweet and 4 followers liked
it. One of them replied that she had
felt a story of a Super Mario game (a bad male monster took away a princess and the
princess just waited for someone to rescue her without doing anything) as strange
when she was a kid.
I have decided to think this issue more seriously.
No comments:
Post a Comment